Wednesday, May 9, 2012

At the Park - If You Are Three

We have regular weekly "Park Days" during the summer with a bunch of other moms and kids from the neighborhood.  We had our first official park day last week.  While I was sitting and talking with the other moms, Cora took my camera and asked if she could take "just a cuh-poo pit-chas."

The next thing I knew, she was wandering all around the playground, snapping away.  I was just going to delete them all, but some of them are actually pretty interesting.  I don't really look at the playground from the perspective of a small preschooler.  The pictures kind of look kind of artsy and abstract.  I also love seeing her little finger obscuring at least part of most pictures, and ALL of quite a few (that I won't show you).

This one is titled, "Bottom of Slide, with Finger."  I will admit, it has been a long time since I saw the bottom of a slide.  Interesting.  What exactly is she trying to say with this piece?  I leave you to find your own interpretation.

This one is called "Sky and One of Those Rotating Circle Things."  Interesting, the contrast of the solid metal when compared with the ethereal quality of the clouds...(or at least that is what my college art professor would say).

This is called "Tootsies and Holes."  (Sorry, that girl needs a pedicure almost as bad as I do!)

This one we call "A, B, With Finger Shadow."  Actually, I don't really get this part of the playground.  This is on an angle like a slide, but it has big numbers on it that stick out half an inch or so, so when the kids try to slide down it, their pants almost get ripped off.  Maybe they are just supposed to climb up it, but the letters aren't think enough to get much of a grip on??  Maybe Cora is trying to point out the absurdity of it all with her photo.

This one is called "Why Aren't Daxton's Flip Flops On His Chubby Little Feet?"  It is one of those deep, lingering question we may never know the answer to.
This one is called "WHEEEEEEEEE!  And Finger" for obvious reasons. 

This is another one of her "new perspective" shots.  She took this one from UNDER the playground, looking up through the holes.  We call it "Holes to Heaven and Finger."
There are quite a few more, but you get the idea.  And here is the artist herself:
She is upstairs right now sleeping, but occasionally making sad little sucking sounds and heart-breaking little whimpers.  We (finally) took her binkie away a couple of days after our trip.  Except for one GARGANTUAN meltdown the first time she tried to sleep without it, she has been very brave about the whole thing.  She is still struggling a little, but hopefully in a couple of weeks she will have forgotten all about her beloved binkie.  It is so hard to see her having such a hard time sleeping when it would be so easy to pop that dang thing in her mouth and watch her instantly relax and float off to peaceful dreamland.  I swear, if it wasn't making her teeth crooked, I would have let her keep that dang thing until college.  

3 comments:

Ryan and Amber said...

That pic of Cora is adorbs. She looks a teeny bit mischievous there which I love!

Natalie said...

I seriously loved this post, Chrystie! You made me laugh and I loved seeing the perspective of Cora. So fun!

Diane said...

Artistic pictures, and intellectual analysis. Tee hee. Thank you for a little person perspective.