Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Kindergarten Zoo Day

So I have kind of fallen behind on the blog, as you may have noticed.  After about a week full of end-of- school and beginning-of-summer events, I started to think, "Man, I need to do a giant catch-up post!"  However, before I knew it, the very thought of trying to fit everything into the giant catch-up post just sounded intimidatingly hard, so I couldn't get myself to even start one.

So...I am not going to try and catch up all at once.  I am going to just do a small post here and there as I can find time during all the summer craziness that is going on, and hope that someday I can at least hit all of the major highlights.  So, let's think back to when I started falling behind....somewhere in May.  Oh yes, the Kindergarten Zoo Field Trip!!

I volunteered to help with Arden's Kindergarten Zoo trip a couple of years back, and Daxton remembered this information, and informed me that since I went with Arden, I was somehow under an iron-clad obligation to go on his field trip too.  Okay, boy, let's go!

I was put in charge of four boys, and we were the Lions!  I gotta say that I was a little bit worried about trying to keep four very excited boys all together and happy at the zoo for a couple of hours.  The pressure was really on when Dax's teacher told us that no one had ever lost a kid in all her years of kindergarten zoo trips.  I did NOT want to go down in history as the first mom to lose someone.  I had visions of Lion Boys scaling the fences into the bear enclosures or trying to ride the rhinos.

I had plenty of time to think about this stuff on the bus trip over.  Actually, with two very enthusiastic kindergarten classes on the bus, it was actually kind of hard to think over all the noise.  Dax is pretty excited too:
Here is all of Dax's class at the zoo!
They did a picture with everyone doing silly faces.  I love it.
We were pretty lucky and got to see lots of animals awake.  We saw two wolves really close up, and the leopard was posing on top of his house for us:

We saw the polar bears, we saw the gorilla, we saw elephants.  The boys ate all of the school-provided snacks within half an hour of arriving at the zoo, and asked for popcorn repeatedly.  I was not aware that i was supposed to have brought popcorn money, so the poor things remained popcorn-less.  I told them they could have all the water they wanted from this little zoo-must-do:
Hand sanitizer anyone?

We checked out the new lion exhibit, since we were the Lion group.  Here they are, along with Dax, who is, I believe at the end of a fierce roar.  Kind of looks like a burp or something though...
We saw the alligator, lots of snakes, a scorpion, some turtles, you get the idea.  We came, we saw, we conquered, no one got lost or eaten or maimed.  I was pretty happy with myself as I herded my little pride of lions back onto the bus.  

After driving back to the school with the seat full of kindergarten girls next to me singing ONLY the chorus of "Let It Go" for about half an hour non-stop, I was ready to "Turn away and slam the door" on this field trip!  BAM! 

Two kindergarten zoo trips down, one to go.  Cora has already informed me that I will be accompanying her next year.  :)

1 comment:

Ryan and Amber said...

Isn't it ridiculously amazing how much they "keep track" and make sure everything is fair? Crazy. On a side note your little lion looks one happy little toe head! And that's something. They'll eventually be teenagers and we'll be begging to come on a class trip! :)